The functions of the Division are given below according to the three (3) units.
- Public Investment Program (PIP) Unit
- Public Private Partnership (PPP) Unit
- Public Entities and Assets Unit
- Establish and facilitate the implementation of a robust regulatory and policy framework to guide Public Investment Management in Ghana.
- Support the Project Management Units in MDAs by providing guidelines, templates and manual on PIM to guide the pre-investment process and ensure compliance with regulations.
- Maintain a comprehensive and reliable electronic database on public infrastructure projects (referred to as the Integrated Bank of Projects) to facilitate project prioritisation and budgeting.
- Support the PIP Working Committee by reviewing, analysing and reporting on project documentation including pre-feasibility and feasibility studies for their consideration and decision on the granting of a seal of Quality by the Minister.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the PIP and priority projects and document lessons to feedback into project design, preparation and dissemination.
The PFA unit will provide the core functions of public investment management and monitoring within the PID. In this way it will be the gatekeeper of the PID and establish and maintain a database that will provide all required information and data on public investment.
The main functions of the unit will be to:
- Establish a robust policy and regulatory framework to facilitate prompt, efficient and effective PPP project development, execution and oversight.
- Provide technical support via the issuance of PPP manuals, guidelines, and templates to guide public authorities in the development, execution and evaluation of PPP projects.
- Review PPP project documentation referred to the Ministry including prefeasibility and full feasibility studies to ensure that PPP projects meet the requisite quality criteria of value for money, affordability, financial viability, bankability and appropriate transfer of risk.
- Review PPP project implementation progress and ex-post evaluation reports submitted by public authorities and prepare periodic aggregate PPP performance report documenting results, challenges and lessons learnt to inform policy refinement, PPP project design and execution.
- Review and recommend for consideration potential PPP projects in need of financial assistance for project preparation and transaction advisory services in line with the Project Development Facility (PDF) guidelines.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders to build human capacity in the public sector for PPP project development and implementation as well as sensitize Ghanaian private sector on the PPP process.
- Serve as the secretariat for the Technical Committee on PPP Fiscal Commitments and Contingent Liabilities (FCCL) to assess, monitor and report on all fiscal risks associated with PPP projects including Viability Gap Funding.
- Serve as the secretariat for the PPP Approval Committee (PPPAC), which is mandated to assess and provide clearance for PPP projects, by maintaining up-to-date records and following-up on PPPAC decisions.
- Coordinate the implementation of the Viability Gap Funding (VGF).
- Develop policies to promote corporate governance in SOEs, JVCs, and other state entities.
- Develop policies for effective management and regulation of state interests in SOEs and JVCs.
- Liaise with State Interest and Governance Authority (SIGA) to ensure the effective management of SOEs and JVCs.
- Advise the Minister of Finance on critical financial and procedural issues that may have an impact on State interests and effective and efficient utilization of national assets.
- Develop policies for effective management, utilization and regulation of non-financial assets of the state.